During the eighteenth to the nineteenth century, the town was losing its splendour as a leisure centre, but it maintains its role as supplier of construction materials, with the manufacture of lime, bricks and tiles and the exploitation of granite quarries. It is known that, among others San Francisco the Great of Madrid`s church and the castle of Villaviciosa de Odón were built with them.
In the middle of the 19th century, the town revived and joined the industrial society with the opening of the "Falcó and Callejo’s fine crockery factory”, thanks to the discovery of a kaolin deposit and its proximity to the capital.
The factory, by Juan Falcó, also called Aulencia`s Society, founded in 1845, produced pieces of fine earthenware, with great quality design, obtaining national and international awards. Its work was greatly appreciated even by the royal family, who commissioned dinnerware for Alfonso XII and Alfonso XIII.
In 1912 the factory was forced to close down due to the depletion of the local kaolin mines and transportation difficulties, that had to be done by road, probably carried in baskets by wagons or transported on horseback, at least to El Escorial. Both circumstances made their products uncompetitive in a market that had been liberalized and that was cheaper to buy imported chinaware.
With the purchase of the factory in 1915 by Juan Giralt Laporta the activity returns to Valdemorillo, increased by the manufacture of glass, hard porcelain for laboratory and electrical isolation; building two new chimneys.
With the bombing of the Battle of Brunete in 1937, the factory was destroyed. Three of the kilns remained standing, known as The Three Chimneys.
Casa de Cultura
The transfer of lands by the family owners to the Town Hall, made possible the construction of “La Casa de Cultura”, inaugurated in 1999.
This singular building that is erected around the Chimneys, maintains the character of the factory, so intimately linked to the history of this town. This is appreciated in both, the original design of the building, which embraces the furnaces, as well as the ceramic construction materials mostly used.
Nowadays it is still an emblematic place that has an auditorium, Exhibition Hall, classrooms, and workshops, where there are many cultural activities for the enjoyment of neighbours and visitors