The cemetery is a pleasant visit place, not only for its historical value, but also for its impressive views of the town and the mountain chain. The tranquillity that it transmits, away from the noise, is increased by the sound of the birds, the hens, and even the braying of some of the donkeys from the neighbouring farms.
The cemetery was built in 1800, next to the hermitage of Nuestra Señora de la Paz, when it was moved from its old location on the north side of the church.
This decision obeys to the Real Certificate in 1787 by Carlos III to prohibit the burials in the churches with exceptions, due to the stench that the deads gave off, in times of great mortality.
That is why they began building cemeteries outside the towns due to a public health issue.
The whole cemetery is a work of art promoted by the brothers Rubio and Martin de Santos, who were the private secretary and doctor of the House of Queen Maria Cristina de Borbón, Isabel II´s mother
Its main doors at the entrance catches our attention, dating from 1872, as indicated by the numbers on its top.
Precisely, the tombs of these cemetery founding brothers stand out as soon as you go in, because of its beauty and antiquity.
On one of them it is written the date of 1855 and 1863 on the other.
The whole set is carved in first quality marble brought from France.
Visitors may feel welcomed by its stateliness and imposing essence.
Walking among the cypress trees, harmonized by the birds' song.
We go up the stairs and reach the hermitage at the top of the cemetery.
To its left-hand side, we find some of the most illustrious tombs, the pantheon of the Falcó family, founder of the first ceramic factory of the town, the school, or attached to the wall of the hermitage, the tombs of the Gamonal family.
In front of the hermitage we find one of the oldest tombs, known for being from an ecclesiastic, because it is buried with the head towards the Hermitage and not "with the feet ahead" as everyone is buried.
The interior of the hermitage is pleasant and austere. The only ornaments are given by the dome cruisers and the stone that stands out on the whitewash.
At the altar, the image of the virgin of La Paz is preserved, which takes care of the hermitage and cares for everybody to rest in peace in our beautiful cemetery.
Among the most highlighted tombs you also find curious gravestones, decorated with ancient ceramics and inscriptions of it that are a beautiful example of the works that were done in the Falcó factory ,that demonstrate its quality, maintaining its colours intense through time.
It is curious to say that the cemetery had a part separated by bricks, to bury the Protestants among whom the tomb of Otto Funke is preserved.
We invite you to walk among the tombstones and enjoy the tranquillity and the views of the surroundings.